#32, They come in crowds when there is a free lecture and very few when there is something to pay

In 1896, Swami Vivekananda found himself "OVERWORKED" with busy schedule of lectures at Brooklyn, New York, Boston and then England. This can be seen from his letter dated 25th Jan. 1896 to Mrs. Ole Bull, written from New York. He even proposed to purchase a plot of 101 acres in Catskills.

"...This year, I am afraid, I am getting overworked , as I feel the strain. I want a rest badly. So it is very good, as you say, that the Boston work be taken up in the end of March. By the end of April I will start for England. ..."


He wrote to Mrs. Ole Bull from US on 17th January 1900:

"... I do not expect anything much here or anywhere by lecturing. I can scarcely make expenses. No, not even that; whenever it comes to paying, the people are nowhere. The field of lecturing in this country has been overworked ; the people have outgrown that. ..."


Swamiji wrote to Mrs. Ole Bull from San Francisco on 7th March 1900:

"... Anyway, I thought I could make money here in California and pay them up quietly. Now I have entirely failed in California financially. It is worse here than in Los Angeles. They come in crowds when there is a free lecture and very few when there is something to pay ..."


BLOGGER'S VIEWs
*How the lecturing environment has changed, in just four years in U.S.A.?
*The same Americans or different Americans?
*WHO OVERWORKED THE FIELD OF LECTURING?
*The same Yankee Land or a different Yankee land!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

239 Do the questions of beef eating - drinking and smoking by Vivekananda really matter?

230 Rev. Barrows - Give me beef