#171, You ought to have sent a brainier man anyway

Swami Vivekananda wrote to Ms. Mary Hale, from Darjeeling, on Apr. 28, 1897.

" ... Dr. Barrows has reached America by this time, I hope. Poor man! He came here to preach the most bigoted Christianity, with the usual result that nobody listened to him. Of course they received him very kindly; but it was my letter that did it. I could not put brains into him! Moreover, he seems to be a queer sort of man. I hear that he was mad at the national rejoicings over my coming home. You ought to have sent a brainier man anyway, for the Parliament of Religions has been made a farce of in the Hindu mind by Dr. Barrows. ..."


Rev. Dr. Barrows was second in command at the World Parliament of Religions. He played a significant role in recording all the praise for Swami Vivekananda at the Parliament.

BLOGGER'S VIEWs
*Was Swamiji brainier than Barrows?
*If there was no Swamiji's letter, would nobody receive Dr. Barrows?
*How can a queer person organise a World Parliament?
*Attributing madness to Dr. Barrows?
*What an arrogant Swami!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

239 Do the questions of beef eating - drinking and smoking by Vivekananda really matter?

230 Rev. Barrows - Give me beef

108, There was nothing ... I am afraid