#184, Ladies, Ladies, Ladies, packing every place

" ... From that day I became a celebrity, and the day I read my paper on Hinduism, the hall was packed as it had never been before. I quote to you from one of the papers: "Ladies, ladies, ladies packing every place — filling every corner, they patiently waited and waited while the papers that separated them from Vivekananda were read", etc. You would be astonished if I sent over to you the newspaper cuttings, but you already know that I am a hater of celebrity. Suffice it to say, that whenever I went on the platform, a deafening applause would be raised for me. Nearly all the papers paid high tributes to me, and even the most bigoted had to admit that "This man with his handsome face and magnetic presence and wonderful oratory is the most prominent figure in the Parliament", etc., etc. Sufficient for you to know that never before did an Oriental make such an impression on American society. ..."


BLOGGER'S VIEWS
Vivekananda perfected in the art of self-publicity.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

239 Do the questions of beef eating - drinking and smoking by Vivekananda really matter?

230 Rev. Barrows - Give me beef