Common Sense and philosophies can never go together

A friend has given me an article titled 'Krishnamurti and Commonsense' penned by Ms. Mary Anderson, Secretary of European Federation of the Theosophical Society.

Those who give copies of books and leaflets of their favorite authors, normally expect support from the friends who receive and read them.

My friend, fortunately was tolerant of criticism and discussion.

I, after writing out my impressions while reading the article, in margins, thought that it would be fit for me to share these ideas with my readers. I thought that it would be apt for me to record my ideas (ideas of a lay man or semi-layman), for posterity, whatever they are worth for.

You need not agree with me when you read my comments.

I have changed the title of this 'Vivekananda yb' blog, to 'Philosophers and Analyses of philosophies' as it will not be prudent for me to start a separate blog, just for the sake of one piece of article.

Readers may please keep in mind the realities: Jiddu Krishna Murthy was different from Swami Vivekananda. They had their different approaches. I am not trying to compare them. We have, if at all, to link them, to try them the following route:

Recall Ms. Henrietta Mueller the Chief Donor of the Belur Math land, who drifted to Theosophical Society, after visiting India and being dis-satisfied with Vivekananda. Theosophical Society, Chennai was under the umbrella of Annie Besant. Ms. Annie Besant, according to Wikipedia represented Theosophical Society at the 1893 Chicago Congress of Religions. Thus, in a sense Annie Besant and Vivekananda were rivals.

It will be necessary to have a biography of Ms. Annie Besant at Wikipedia.
Wikipedia's biography of Annie Besant.

We can find that Ms. Annie Besant intended Master Jiddu Krishnamurti to be a world teacher. He was expected to be the Master of the Order of the Eastern Star in the East, a title which Swami Vivekananda would have relished greatly. This started in 1909 and ended in 1929. Mr. Krishnamurti was 14 when the initiation started. He must have been 34 when the thing ended. Mr. Krishnamurti was said to have dissolved the Order and spent rest of his life as an unaffiliated speaker, leaving the Theosophical Society. It is not clear what had exactly caused the disenchantment of Mr. Krishna Murthy with the Theosophical Society.

We find, according to the Wikipedia, Ms. Besant purchased six acres of land in Chennai, for Mr. Krishnamurti, which became the HQ of the Krishnamurti Foundation India.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

239 Do the questions of beef eating - drinking and smoking by Vivekananda really matter?

230 Rev. Barrows - Give me beef

108, There was nothing ... I am afraid